Thursday, June 19, 2008

Jeremy Feldbusch - Hero



Jeremy Feldbusch

Jeremy was assigned as a mortar man to the 3rd Battalion, of the elite 75th Ranger Regiment on April 5, 2002. In March 2003, he deployed with his fellow Rangers to Iraq for the opening of Operation Iraqi Freedom. There they participated in a critical battle to seize the Haditha Dam on the Euphrates River. This structure is two miles long, holding back 2.2 trillion gallons of water. If Saddam Hussein’s forces had succeeded in blowing up the dam, Baghdad and other cities downriver would have been flooded, setting the invasion back by months. Seizing and securing the dam made it possible for the U.S. Army’s 3rd Infantry Division to continue its drive to Baghdad.
On April 2, 2003, Jeremy’s unit was helping to guard that dam when Saddam’s Baathist forces subjected them to an intense artillery barrage. During the battle, a one-inch piece of red-hot shrapnel sliced through Jeremy’s right eye, crashing through his sinuses and lodging in the left side of his brain. It caused severe damage to the optic nerve of his left eye and sent splinters of bone throughout his brain.
Recuperation: Jeremy lost his right eye immediately upon the injury. After evacuation and transportation back to the United States, he faced seven hours of brain surgery. It threatened his life, but there was no alternative. He remained in a coma for several weeks. In the end, the sight of his remaining eye could not be saved. Further surgeries were necessary, including the reconstruction of Jeremy’s face. Then came a long recovery at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas.
Jeremy has gone on from there, learning to use a white cane, read Braille, and gain control of the mood swings that once controlled him due to the injury to his brain.
Involvement with Wounded Warrior Project: Jeremy has been a very prominent spokesperson for the Wounded Warrior project, even doing some legislative work with the organization. Among the programs in which he has participated with WWP is SoldierRide, a bicycling event in which Jeremy rode tandem with a sighted partner.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I watch a documentary about Jeremy on Showtime, I decided to search the internet for his name. That is how I ended up here.

This man is one very incredible person. I would be honored to be his friend and neighbor. Men like Jeremy are the real heros of today. I salute Jeremy, and all the war Vetrans, past, present, and future for their efforts and sacrifice in support of this Great Nation.

Anonymous said...

I am watching the film of Jeremy as
I write this comment. I was assigned to the 3rd Ranger School
after I came back from Vietnam. I
was with the 173rd Airborne Brigade, which the 75th Rangers had
origninated from. Never a finer
group of people. Good luck, Jeremy
in whatever you do. It's nice to
know with the administration we
have in Washington that there are
still young people that know the
price of freedom. God bless. From
a fellow warrior.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your service and the sacrifice you made for my family and this great country. Thanks so much. Where does America get men like yourself - you are a hero.
I salute you and those like you. Ooah!

Anonymous said...

I was taken aback when I watched the homefront documentary last night. Several things that struck me...the continual drive of his family to keep him going. I was very impressed by his dad, actually all of his family. The pictures they showed before injury was one of a physically gorgeous man. The after and videos of Jeremy with his injuries and his love of live and family...frankly I find the new Jeremy so much more attractive...Unbelievably a beautiful and blessed man. Thank you for my freedom and that of my family. God bless you always..
Rachel Hall

Recycled Crafts and Ideas said...

This man is one very incredible person. I would be honored to be his friend and neighbor. Men like Jeremy are the real heros of today. I salute Jeremy, and all the war Vetrans, past, present, and future for their efforts and sacrifice in support of this Great Nation.

I feel this said it all.

I too watched Home Front and felt compelled to leave a comment. I am so blessed and honored by our women and men who stand face to face with the enemy keeping us safe and free. Unfortunatly freedom is not free and there are many wounded returning home needing our support and we should mak
e every attempt to give it to them.

Thank you vets for my freedom and country that I love.

Anonymous said...

Jeremy... I thank you and all the servicemen and women. Thank you ... Thank you ... Thank you ... God bless you and your entire family.