Thursday, June 05, 2008

Wounded Warrior & Hero: Eric Browy



Eric Browy

Eric’s first tour of duty in Iraq lasted from March 2003 to March 2004. Eric’s unit was part of an operation that took the town of Taj and held it during this period. The unit did many missions and patrols, provided security for rocket systems, and set up and manned operations posts (OPs). Engaging in any number of firefights with insurgents and foreign fighters, Eric’s unit sustained nine killed in action, as well as four wounded. Three Bradleys assigned to his unit hit improvised explosive devices (IEDs).
During his second tour of duty in Iraq, which began in December 2005, Eric served as a scout in the southern part of Baghdad, doing patrols, OPs, and other scouting tasks. In March 2006, Eric was setting up observation posts. He was walking atop a wall 25 feet above the ground, carrying 80 pounds of gear while, at the same time, keeping track of a suspicious guy on the ground through his night vision goggles. He missed a step, falling from the wall and severely damaging both feet.
A helicopter took him to an Army hospital in Baghdad. From there he was flown to the Army’s Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, where he stabilized for a week. He then went to Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where his right leg was amputated below the knee. Because his left foot was so severely damaged, amputation of great toe and ball of that foot was also required.
Eric had ten surgeries in all.
Eric received medical retirement from the Army on December 28, 2006.
Recuperation: “Walter Reed’s rehabilitation system rocks,” Eric said enthusiastically. "I was walking without limping within two months. It was painful. It was work. But the system is great.”
Involvement with Wounded Warrior Project: “WWP was awesome because, when I got back I didn’t even have underwear. So when WWP came by with a backpack, it contained something I definitely needed, and a whole lot more. And when I was in a wheelchair, I used that backpack as a wheelchair backpack.”
“WWP makes sure everything’s okay.”
Employment Narrative: Eric plans to do volunteer work until he begins college in the fall. He will study engineering.
Feelings about Military Service: “Loved it.”
Feelings about Helping Other Vets thru WWP: “Now that I’m further along in recovery, the WWP rep tells me about other veterans who need help, and I go talk to them: what happened to me and how I recovered. There are a lot of people like me, who are facing recovery, and they need to talk to somebody who’s been down that road. I know I would not have had as much confidence as I made my own decision about amputation if I hadn’t talked to other amputees. So I know how important it is now for me to talk with others who are facing that decision.”

No comments: